More and Better Newsletter N°7 | December 2010
- IFAD Report on rural poverty 2011 to be launched soon
- Malian farmers oppose land grabbing
- Getting ready for the World Social Forum 2011
- New member: Development Action Association
- Upcoming events
IFAD Report on rural poverty to be launched soon
The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), an international financial institution and a specialized UN agency, will release a major report on the state of rural poverty in the developing world on 6th December 2010. The Rural Poverty Report 2011 contains updated estimates by IFAD of the number of rural poor people living in the developing world, poverty rates in rural areas, and the percentage of poor people residing in rural areas. The report also offers regional breakdowns of these estimates, and includes new information on how many people move in and out of poverty over time. It points to emerging opportunities for rural growth and development and makes important recommendations on policies and investments that will help rural women and men move out of poverty and become part of the solution for the global food security challenges of the next several decades.
Malian famers oppose land grabbing
Land grabbing of small farmers’ land by large national and foreign companies is becoming an increasingly concerning issue in Mali. The Malian farmers launched a call against land grabbing on the 20th November, at the end of the two days Forum that has gathered, in Kologontomo, representatives from peasants organizations, civil society and la Via Campesina.
Read the call here:
- FR: http://www.cnop-mali.org/IMG/pdf_Appel_de_Kolongo_final.pdf
- EN: http://farmlandgrab.org/17414
Getting ready for the World Social Forum 2011
Registration for the centralized edition of the World Social Forum 2011, to be held on February 06-11 in Dakar (Senegal), is now open and will be closing on December 15th. More and Better will be attending the Forum and is planning to organize two panels. The first will be focusing on the report “Viable Food Future” and agro-ecology; the second will introduce the More and Better network for those organizations who would like to know more about our shared goals and principles and be part of the network. If you are planning to attend World Social Forum (WSF), please inform us, so we can meet up, see who could take part in meetings More and Better will be involved in etc. Please send a email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are going to WSF.
- Registration for organizations and individuals (closing date 15th December):
- For more information on the WSF future and past editions visit: http://www.forumsocialmundial.org.br/index.php?cd_language=2&id_menu=
New member: Development Action Association
DAA has joined the More and Better network in November 2010; it is a farm based not for profit association operating in 46 communities in Greater Accra, Central, Eastern Regions of Ghana. 98% of the beneficiaries are rural women with low education. Its main areas of activity are: food security (i.e. fish processing, cassava production), microcredit, vegetable production fish production and small animals raising ( Grasscutter, rabbits, snails, fowls, pigs etc). DAA is a member of Farmers Organisations Network in Ghana (FONG) and the Network of Farmers Organizations and Agricultural Producers in West Africa (ROPPA).
- Discussion Forum on IFAD Rural Poverty Report 2011, 17 December 2010, Rome, Italy
- Meeting of the Advisory Group of Alliance Against Hunger and Malnutrition, 15th December 2010, FAO, Rome, Italy.
- Global Donor Platform General Assembly, 13 – 14 January 2011, Tunis, Tunisia.
- World Social Forum 2011, 6 – 11 February, Dakar, Senegal
If you have feedback on articles, suggestions of content for future issues or other thoughts please write to email@example.com
Download newsletter N.7 in PDF version here