Engage in follow-up on the Sustainable Development Goals
The meeting of the High-Level Political Forum on sustainable development in 2017, to be held in New York from 10 to 19th of July, gives civil society's organizations in all countries good opportunities to follow-up and challenge their governments. 44 countries
have committed to report in 2017 on the progress of reaching the SDGs. This provides CSOs in these countries special opportunities to engage with their governments.
The theme for the High-Level Political Forum will be "Eradicating poverty and promoting prosperity in a changing world". The set of goals to be reviewed in depth will be the following:
• Goal 1. End poverty in all its forms everywhere
• Goal 2. End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
• Goal 3. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
• Goal 5. Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
• Goal 9. Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
• Goal 14. Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
The list includes also the Goal 17: Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development, which will be considered every year.
There is a working group on the SDGs in the Civil Society Mechanism for the UN Committee on World Food Security (CFS). You can find information on its work and its position paper here
Photo: More and Better/Alessandra Sgrò